Why Clients Choose the Erickson Law Firm
Businesses and individuals seek advice that gives them confidence that they are making informed, optimal decisions. They want counsel who understands them and is unvaryingly focused on their success. John’s experience, judgment, responsiveness, and manner create confidence and make him a trusted counselor for each client.
Clients also seek and deserve advice that adds value in all respects. Some clients have had unsatisfactory experiences with attorneys who do not provide value because of their high cost. John delights clients by providing the highest quality advice at a very attractive below-market price that results from the low overhead of his boutique firm.
Health care clients seek transactions that create fair, sustainable, long-term relationships. They consistently benefit from John’s broad perspective that comes from his representation of physicians as employees, health systems as employers, physicians as partners, businesses as buyers, businesses as seller, etc. John knows the elements of arrangements that ‘work’ and how to reach agreement without diversions or delay.
“My goal is to provide my health care clients the same expertise and attention to detail that they provide to their patients. It is an honor to assist to optimize important transactions and relationships for hard-working physicians and providers that are vital to their communities.”
Here is a recent podcast in which John discusses (at length) material considerations in physician contracting:
“The contract a potential employer sent me seemed OK to me. John promptly reviewed it and pointed out two material missing terms and recommended two other changes. The employer actually thanked me for identifying the missing terms and immediately agreed to the changes – one of which will make a big difference in compensation each year.” –JO, Interventional Cardiologist
“I can’t begin to count the matters on which John has advised us during the 10+ years he has been our outside general counsel. We always say, ‘let’s see what John thinks’ because he very often improves the outcome and always gives us confidence that we are making the right decision.” –SH, CFO for a large multi-specialty practice
“Given my bad experiences with other ’lawyers,’ I was surprised when a fellow Oncologist mentioned what a great experience she had with John. I knew he was different when he quickly returned my initial call. He exceeded every expectation while expediting and simplifying a complex negotiation. I felt for the first time that someone was really fighting for me – and I landed my dream job. For the 100th time, THANK YOU JOHN!!!” –AP, Surgical Oncologist
“John is a fantastic attorney. His greatest strength is his ability to adapt to rapidly changing circumstances and yet stay fully focused on our essential goals as we separated from one practice to join another.” –RR,
Physician Practice Manager
“I was one of a large group of 30+ cardiologists that John assisted to join a health system several years ago. I am now the director of the Cardiovascular Fellowship program at another leading hospital. I consistently recommend John to graduating Fellows and it is gratifying to know that these new practicing physicians are getting top shelf advice to start their careers. They are always thrilled with his guidance.” –AS, Interventional Cardiologist
“After decades of private practice, I received an offer to build a program at a respected hospital. Thankfully, a trusted colleague recommended that I engage John to advise me through this potential big life event. John focused on my goals, helped me refine them, and then used respectful yet powerful arguments to persuade the hospital to modify its offer to satisfy those goals. I could not be happier with the outcome. The hospital’s general counsel was so impressed that she has since recommended John to other physicians!” –AK, Cardiac Surgeon
Education and Experience
- The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, B.G.S.
- Maurer School of Law, Indiana University Bloomington, J.D. with honors
- Law Clerk, United States District Court (The Honorable John Daniel Tinder)
- Trial Attorney, Civil Division, United States Department of Justice
- Associate, Johnson Smith L.L.P.
- Senior Counsel, Bindley Western Industries, Inc.
- General Counsel, Cardinal Heath’s Integrated Provider Solutions business
- Of Counsel, Squire Patton Boggs, L.L.P.
- Shareholder, Hall Render Killian Health & Lyman, P.C.
- Founder, The Erickson Law Firm, LLC
John is one of seven children, a husband of 23 years, father of three, plays ice hockey twice a week, and enjoys a Bourbon neat every now and then.
Is it better to have a local attorney or a national expert?
John has represented clients from coast to coast for decades – nearly all of them by phone and email only. Long experience and an understanding of current national best practices that come from a national practice are the essential elements of the best advice. John travels for in-person meetings (never charging for travel time) when the client and he believe those meetings are beneficial.
Is John able to practice law in every State?
John is licensed to practice law in Indiana and Ohio. As is typical of health care attorneys, he advises clients across the country regarding the application of federal health care laws and provides clients business strategies related to health care transactions. He does not represent any client in court and does not advise regarding the enforceability of terms or application of the law of any State other than Indiana or Ohio.
How does the firm charge for its services?
The firm charges an hourly rate for actual time (in tenths of an hour) spent working for a client. A relatively low rate coupled with the efficiency from John’s experience/expertise produces exceptional value for clients. Given that the amount of time required cannot be reliably predicted up front and is frequently less than expected, we find that charging for actual time is better for clients than charging a fixed fee that would necessarily result in some clients paying more.
Does John’s litigation background make a difference?
John was a litigator for the first 10 years of his career. That experience helps his current clients in two material respects. First, John understands how to present positions in a clear, linear manner to advocate effectively for clients in negotiations. Second, he knows how and when disputes devolve into litigation and uses years of experience to frame and advance solutions to permit clients to resolve disputes optimally.
What types of physician specialties has John advised?
- Cardiac Surgery
- Family Medicine
- Foot and Ankle Orthopedics
- General Cardiology
- General Surgery
- Gynecology and Obstetrics
- Hand Surgery
- Hematology and Oncology
- Interventional Cardiology
- Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Orthopedic Surgery of the Spine
- Pediatric Congenital Cardiac Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Pulmonary Disease and Critical Care Medicine
- Radiation Oncology
- Surgical Oncology
- Vascular Surgery
What types of transactions has John handled?
- Graduating Fellow employment contracts
- Experienced physician employment contracts
- Physician employment separation
- Physician group:
- formation, mergers, and unwinds
- compensation plans
- private equity investment transactions
- integrations into national practices
- integrations with health systems
- Departure of a division of physicians from group practices
- Academic medical center employment arrangements
- Professional Service Agreements, including on-call and 24/7/365 coverage
- Physician arrangements with pharma and device companies
- Ambulatory Surgery Center formation and operation
- Radiation oncology joint venture formation and operation
- Co-Management arrangements
- Purchase/Sale of a practice or specific practice assets
- Outside general counsel for:
- physician groups
- national DME Supplier
- medical instrument company
- national association of 18 community oncology practices
- Information Technology contracts, including EMR and PMS
- All types of health care vendor contracts
- Pre-dispute resolution regarding wide range of matters
- Commercial payor participating provider arrangements
- Population health arrangements